9.22.2008

Raphael Saadiq-The Way I See It


Raphael Saadiq has been a dominant force in R&B for over twenty years as the front man of groups Tony Toni Tone and Lucy Pearl. As a producer he's worked with everyone from D'Angelo to Joss Stone. Now with his fourth studio album, Saadiq bravely takes on the R&B sound of the '60's and shows great homage to a wonderful era. "The Way I See It" is one of the best R&B albums released in the last six months and I can guarantee if you like REAL music then you won't be disappointed. With this album Saadiq defines what Rhythm & Blues truly is. Although he holds it down on his own, he reaches out to some influential artist, including Stevie Wonder, who plays harmonica on "Never Give You Up", British singer Joss Stone, on the "Just One Kiss" duet and Jay-Z is featured on the bonus track "Oh Girl" remix...which I really don't care for and I'm a huge Jay-Z fan, but I think he should've had Andre 3000 on this song, I can hear him doing something on that track....but, with the exception of the songs with Jay-Z and Joss Stone, if first heard, the album could easily be mistaken as something your mother, or grandmother would play with sounds resembling those of the Delfonics, Temptations, The Chi-Lites, and Smokey Robinson


I love this era because it takes us back to a time when everything was done with respect, class and dignity. Men and women addressed each other by their whole names with Mr. or Ms. in front of it...2008 is the 60's soul revival thanx to Solange and Raphael!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RALPH'S ALBUM IS THE BEST AND YEA I DO HEAR THOSE SOUNDS YOU MENTIONED