8.28.2008

Fraudulent Life

So, I was on the phone chatting with an old "friend" the other day and we were discussing our "10 year plan" the conversation just came up out of nowhere, and I don't know if this is just me but personally I've never been the type to plot my life out on paper, it just makes me feel compelled to follow that plan and sometimes you have to venture off course for something better. Well, we had the same 10 year plan and he told me last night that he copied it from me when we had to write a paper on it back in high school (even though I really hated to do it, it was for a grade.)

I was shocked because that's like you're stealing my future and I don't know how I should take that, because I was seriously surprised, like that's what built our "friendship" because we had so much in common and, my plans changed from jump, but not for the better, after high school I was suppose to attend Howard University, got accepted and everything but my mom and dad shot down all of my top 5 choices for Universities because I was "too young, to be so far away from home."

I thought he never got accepted to Howard, because he never mentioned it to me after I said I couldn't go, he was stuck on his second choice, Grambling (which was sooo NOT in my plans, I had to get out of my state!) but after last nights conversation I'm a bit touched/pressed because he's living out my plan, I found out that he actually did get accepted to Howard and he's graduated with the degree I'm seeking, he's done an internship with a great company like, I've been trying to get to DC since I turned 20, but my credits wouldn't transfer and I did NOT wanna start from square one all over again.

But, my question is what to do when someone copies your life's dreams? should I accept it as a form of adulation and move on? or, should I question his moral standards?. Like, is that even ETHICAL?!?!?!

3 comments:

deonte' k said...

Hey buddy look, I don't know how to really respond to this, but what I will say is people copy off folks everyday all day. But you shouldn't even worry about it. What ur concern/focus should be is getting ur stuff together, and being the best @ what it is u do. Look @ it like this, there can be plenty of performers at one amateur show (because they all claim to share the same dream), but only the best will stand out! So get ur degree, and shine buddy lol. He may be doing his thing, and copied ur so called dream or whatever u wanna call it, but don't forget ur dream still belongs to u, and its up to u to fulfill it.

[jei.lamar] said...

Thanks Deonte!... I'm staying focused man! thanx for the advice it really did put a few things in perspective!

slimm215 said...

I think Deonte said it perfectly right there. just gonna leave it at that.